you are exactly right..and if ya look at the southwest va's finest thread's 1st post u'd think TS has had a state championship dynasty.
Great players do not have to be on State Championship squads. It's not about the 1 player that wins championships.
you are exactly right..and if ya look at the southwest va's finest thread's 1st post u'd think TS has had a state championship dynasty.
...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....
Not only Ervin and Talford, but if you start naming some of the best players in our Region you realize that many, if not the majority of them, didn't play on state championship teams.
[URL="http://cvcgrad.spaces.live.com/blog/"][/URL]
I didn't compare anyone to anyone else...u have done that...all i was saying is that historically there is nothing to brag about there.
...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....
Yeah keep telling yourself that.
Keep on telling us how boring you think basketball is and how little you care about it and keep on arguing.
I can say this...in HS i went to 1 B-Ball game, since I have been to maybe 4...and that is since 1991.
...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....
In my post... I'm not trying to say that great players dont have to be on state championship squads. I mean.. its not hard NOT to find great players who weren't on state championship squads but I know a few who weren't as well... but that does not take away from the player that they were.
Another thing that gets lost in the shuffle is the type of person that they are as well. There have been a lot of great players play on teams but their character has been questioned a lot.
Allen Iverson - Bethel High School - State Champion '93
--He can play but I think his character has spoken for itself.
J.J. Redick - Cave Spring High School - State Champion '02
--D.U.I. was a mistake for a guy who was seen as the posterboy for Duke University, especially at a time when Lacrosse definitely wasn't very popular.
Stacy Ervin - Twin Springs - no championship
--show me a Twin Springs fan today who still does not wear a shirt commemorating his point total or own a shirt autographed by this guy 10 years after he has graduated. His character and personality transcended his game and even without a state championship he is still the Titan probably most young Nickelsville kids want to be like. That is worth more than any championship.
Adam Hood - Rye Cove - no state championship
--Did not even have nowhere the talent surrounding him that Twin Springs had surrounding Ervin during his time up there but still made his game a great one and nearly pulled off an upset of the Group A State Runnerup Gate City at Castlewood. Not until late in the game was Rye Cove ever out of it... and that should say a lot right there. Even then, Hood was very gracious in the loss saying that he was more proud to have had the chance to play Gate City in his career.
Championships can be a measuring stick for a team, but God forbid that they ever become a measuring stick for how we view players for who they are as individuals.
UNION HIGH SCHOOL BEARS - THE NEW ERA BEGINS
And yet you love to argue about other teams that have won lowly Region championships but not state.
Yeah..and u like to argue with me!! [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....
don't kid yourself...the state as a whole was down this year
the LPD always sucks monkey balls when it comes to basketball...the CD (outside of a decent Castlewood team) sucked as well...and the BDD wasn't anywhere near what it usually is
if you're talking about Single A, then the region MIGHT be 2nd...to Region B
if you're talking the entire state...region D 3rd from last
"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity."
-Martin Luther King Jr.
Bookmarks